Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's a Boy!

So there, I'm all caught up!
Today was our third OB appointment, and included an ultrasound. The doctor got me all covered in goo (warmed, thank you Dr Decker!) and worked his magic. He asked what we thought it was, and I tried to get a peek at the monitor, but couldn't quite figure out the angles of what I was looking at. I think it's a girl, Brian thinks it's a boy. As he announces that Brian is right, I figure out which section of the image is actually the baby, and even I can see that he's right.

It was an odd moment, I think for both of us. A first glimpse of the baby inside of me - it's real! Er, he's real! And at the same time even Brian was really sort of thinking it was a girl, so it's surreal and very strange.
The baby moves, and the doc finds him again, and starts pointing out all sorts of things. At the moment Brian has the snapshots at work, but I'll scan them in and post them tomorrow. We got to see his tiny heart beating, all the way down to the septum separating the ventricles. We got to see his brain, and the hemispheres that divide it. His little hand waved, he has amazingly small little vertebrae, and according to the doc he has a round little butt (he must get that from Brian). Everything looks completely normal and perfectly fine, but we still decided to do the triple screen blood test. If anything looks abnormal, they do an ultrasound to confirm, and since ours was totally fine I figure the blood test will come out the same. My bloodwork from last time was clean and clear too - those measels vaccinations are still holding strong from when I was a kid!

The other sort of humorous part of the appointment was the fact that the doctor seemed pretty suprised at my size. "You're really popping out there, aren't ya?" I guess having not seen me for 2 months, and reading that I have still only gained 5 pounds made it a little shocking. The weight gain is right on track according to him. I can't imagine having gained like 20 pounds at this point (which is not at all unusual) and being even more awkward and uncomfortable than I am. Still, I'm a week or so short of half way and there's a loooooong way to go. Someone buy me a muumuu!

So, anyway, no more 'it' for us, PeaBaby is a boy! I'm a little shocked and maybe a little overwhelmed too. I feel like I know how to take care of girls and what they like, but boys are a total mystery. I've been picturing Barbies and dress up and I need to be thinking blocks and army men instead. Brian's already gearing up for playing catch and hockey, and the more I think about it the more real and exciting it becomes. My own little man who will absolutely have to be a mommy's boy, and of course he will be totally adorable and brilliant. Looks like I better go clean all the fairy and princess links out of my Bookmarks and beef up the airplane and choo choo train ones! Belly and ultrasound pics tomorrow!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Hey sissy! Hope you got my message! I am so excited!! I can't wait to be the best aunt ever! I will so be chewing on his little face and snuggling with him as often as I can! I miss you so much! And I wish that I was coming out there in May!! You are gonna be the best mommy! Love you!

James said...

Wow - a boy!

Brian is going to be such an awesome Hockey dad. :)

And I can play Army with him. Yeah - its true. Some people never grow up. :)

Love you kid.

mommatojoa said...

Hi Tiffany. This is Cari. Jonathan Terbush's wife! I found your blog through your dads!

:)

Congrats on the little boy!
You will have TONS of fun! Trust me lol, I have so much fun with Judah!