Monday, February 27, 2012

Week 9: February 17-23

9 week old fetus
From TheBump.com (who is using 'she' for this post, and I'm to lazy to change it to she/he. Not an indication of what I want or think Sprout is or anything)

  • This is a milestone. She's no longer an embryo -- now she's a fetus!
  • She's developing more distinct facial features.
  • And she might now have a strong enough heartbeat to be picked up by a fetal doppler.
  • She's gaining steam! At 9 weeks, your baby measures around .9 inches and weighs about .07 ounces.

So I have realized that I am doing these updates weirdly. Like, I am trying to post at the beginning of week 10 (though in this case I am a few days late), and post about week 9. But by the time I post, the baby isn't 9 week size/development anymore because all of the info talks about how the baby is at the beginning of Week X. I didn't really talk about development stuff last time, and to be perfectly honest I feel like my brain is full of oatmeal today so maybe this isn't the best time to be trying to figure this out. If you have any thoughts on whether I should be posting the 'start of week 10' info with my week 9 update, or the 'start of week 9' info with it, let me know! Maybe I'll change it next week.

But for now! At the end of the week, I have gained 1-2 pounds. That's what less vomiting'll do for you. So now I am -2 or -1 compared to my pre-pregnancy weight.

Symptoms: Fatigue is still a big one. I could sleep all day every day, and sometimes if I lay down to read I wake up thirty minutes later. Of course, I am still not sleeping soundly even at night. It's like this light, restless sleep that wants to happen all the time. I feel like it's sort of like the Fight Club insomnia thing. Never really asleep but never really awake. It is not as cool as Ed Norton and Brad Pitt make it seem :).
The nausea is getting better all the time. It's pretty common for me to feel icky between like 9am and 2pm, but breakfast and dinner are easier. Some days there's no nausea at all! And then I think, "Am I done? Maybe it's gone!" Only to feel awful the next day. No more getting my hopes up.
Ligament pain is a constant thing. Twice this week I have sneezed and it hurt nearly badly enough to make my cry. But I am a wimp! There's all sorts of weird stretching and growing going on down there.
Pregnant brain is such a real thing for me. I am always forgetful but now it's way worse. And I can't focus, or think of words, or type. And I forget things like... I fill the washing machine with clothes and detergent and dial the setting but don't his start. Or Brian asks me to make a phone call and I rack my brain all day and can't remember what it is. It's frustrating. See comment about my brain being filled with oatmeal, above.

Events: We went to a party at the house of one of the guys Brian was working with (he just transferred to a different area) last Sunday, where I chowed down on all kinds of food! Including the best ribs I have ever eaten. Brian was super helpful with Kian so I was mostly able to just sit and talk, which was nice.

I feel like this week passed in a haze of exhaustion and pregnant brain (it's a real thing). Kian had his big field trip last Wednesday and no school for the rest of the week, so we just took it easy. I feel like I have nothing to report!

I guess the biggest weird thing I am experiencing is my mental state. I am showing more all the time and I feel like crap so much of the time, but it still doesn't quite feel... real. Like in the end I'll have a baby. What? The novelty of the situation has worn off and I am not feeling well, but the end is so far down the road, it's like I'm in a weird miserable limbo state.

Brian continues to tell  me he thinks my first trimester with Kian was worse. I think some of the smell sensitivity was worse, but I know I didn't actually throw up nearly as much. I slept a lot but it seemed somehow easier, and I am sure there wasn't this level of ligament (or whatever) pain at this stage. We were talking about it and I decided the difference was that we didn't have Kian then. So I was the Pregnant Princess and it was all about me! So I whined when I didn't feel well and I slept when I wanted, and hardly got off the couch when Brian came home. He didn't have a 4 year old to entertain so he did a lot more cooking and laundry and helping out around the house, where now he feels like 'entertaining Kian is enough helping' (his words not mine) or 'all he has energy for'. So I think it's less that this time is easier and more that I  expected/anticipated the discomfort, I don't tell him as much when I feel rotten, and I know that if I don't do stuff it's not getting done. Kian needs to eat. He needs clean clothes. He needs to be watched and entertained and taught and taken to and from school. He needs a bath. And all these things are my job and mine alone. So I suck it up and get it done, and I try to maintain the rest of my jobs as well. Brian agrees that's probably true, and then thanked me for not whining (though not for doing more around the house necessarily).

So I think that sums it up. Sick, tired, hurting, brain dead, but trying to suck it up. And looking forward to the second trimester and feeling the baby kick and all the things that made me love being pregnant last time. It's coming, right?

No comments: