Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ultrasound #1 - February 17, 2012

If you click on these pictures, you will see a larger version.

Today was rainy and cool. We've had an unseasonably warm winter, and today we finally had a day that felt like February. Hooray for wearing a snuggly sweater and going to Mimi's Cafe for French onion soup before our appointment! Brian left work to do lunch with us and we brought Kian with us to the appointment.

We arrived a little early, but they were in a meeting so we didn't actually go back until about 1:10. At that point it all went really quickly because they took us straight into a sonogram room and the tech wasted no time in getting started. It was cool because there was the ultrasound unit but also a big TV on the wall, so Brian could sit in a chair with Kian and still see what was going on.

I got all settled on the bed and she said, "You're about 9 weeks along? Is this because the doctor thinks you are less than that?" My first clue that maybe I am not as huge as I think I am. To be fair, I was laying on my back at that point!

The tech was really good and found the Sprout with no problem. Even I could see right away where the head was, where the rump side was, and that there was clearly only one baby in there. Cue a rush of relief mixed with maybe a tiny bit of disappointment. I prepared myself too well! But then I could see the little heart fluttering away and I teared up and reached for Brian's hand. She pointed things out even though the view was  so good there really wasn't any need. The measurement showed Sprout to be 9 weeks, 1 day where my count had me at the day before 9 weeks. So I've adjusted things to compromise and made Friday my week switch over day (so the due date is Sept 21). Not that these things /really/ matter except to help me think about them. As Brian said, "So... now the due date is still late August?" Pretty much.

She also checked my ovaries and said there is indeed at least one cyst on my left ovary. I haven't had any pain at in that area for a few days, but it's kind of nice to know that there is one on there, that I  might have more discomfort from it but it probably will not be anything to worry about. And that it wasn't just gas pain or ligament pain when I was insisting it was sharper, different, and more intense. Knowledge is good!

She could also see the corpus luteum graviditatis on that side, which she implied meant that the egg came from that ovary. I am not totally sure how accurate that is (as in, I'm not sure both sides don't have one - need to do some more research) but if that is true, that's kind of cool to know.

Brian took the ultrasound snapshots to work or I would have posted them yesterday. He's like a kid with a cookie! After coming home last night, he did admit that he felt "a little cheated" because he was all ready for twins too. I admitted that there were some things about the prospect that seemed like they would be fun. But I had focused too much on the lack of sleep when Kian was newborn, not to mention the logistics of space and a second crib, and the additional expense, and needing an extra bedroom unless they were same sex as they got older and and and *pant*.

So mostly I felt relieved. And glad to meet Sprout and see that there really is a healthy little baby with a strong heartbeat in there. Brian grabbed the pictures and said, "Honey! There is a human being in there!" with a big grin. Pretty much! It makes it all much more real.

I talked to Kian ahead of time about what we would see, and he seemed to enjoy it though I'm not totally sure how much he really understood. He was very upset that Brian took the pictures with him and has asked to see them a ton since Brian brought them home. He calls Sprout "my baby" and asks to see "the pictures of  my baby". So adorable. I guess My Baby is better than 'beezee' which is what he was suggesting we should name the baby earlier in the week. XD

1 comment:

A Mother McGill said...

What great ultrasound pictures! I love how much detail you can see already, it is nothing less than incredible. Hooray!