Monday, July 30, 2007

Week 2: July 19-25

Kian's one week birthday! We couldn't believe how fast everything went. It is just craziness. He was already starting to look bigger and seeming to change before our very eyes.

We decided to try out his new tummy time mat, a gift from Grandma Becky. He seemed to like it, and started wiggling and kicking right away. Then came a big surprise! He somehow managed to plant one foot and shove himself over. My tiny little guy rolled from his stomach to his back on his one week birthday! Excuse me, but I am ABSOLUTELY supposed to have months before I have to deal with this sort of progress, kid! He did it again just a few minutes later, but I've decided not to really count it as rolling over. It's more like... flinging himself, and not terribly consistent. Or something. He's holding his head up by himself more and more too, and I'm starting to get visions of him running around at 2 months old, 2 feet tall and scampering under the coffee table and stuff. We better go get all of the babyproofing supplies, and quick!

That evening the thought of my parents leaving the next day totally wrecked me. He was still sleeping very inconsistently and I felt like all that was holding my sanity together was having them there to hold him while I napped during the day. They were wonderful enough to give me one more day, and planned to leave Saturday instead.

Friday we had our second doctor's appointment, this one with Col Murphy on base. We got in for our appointment very promptly which was a pleasant surprise. He was still at 5lbs 11oz and about 19 inches long. She said he looked great, and that was a relief too. At the end of the appointment she asked if he was our first child, and then said we seemed like old pros. Go us! We think it must be because I knew a lot of the medical details of his hospital stay (bad handwriting left her with a lot of questions), when he cried I calmly plugged in his pacifier, and in general I wasn't freaked out by the whole process. She was very gentle and generally fantastic so it was a good experience.

One more day of grammy and papa snuggles for Kian, and a freshly vacuumed house for me, and on Saturday grammy and papa headed for home. It was hard and emotional for all of us, and even as I write this I am crying. It's so, so hard for them to not be here. I feel like they are missing so much, and he is missing them, and I am missing them so very much. Living far away has never been easy, but Kian amplifies it all a million times.

On the plus side, he actually slept pretty well Friday night so I felt much more prepared for them to leave on the practical side. Emotionally, no, but I was less worried that I would never sleep again. At this point he started going about 3 hours between feedings even at night, and sleeping soundly in between. Brian referred to it as 'sleeping through the night' but really he just meant actually sleeping at night in his bassinet. Phew. There's a lot of 'phew' going on I'm noticing. Welcome to my life.

Saturday the 22nd was my baby shower. I kept telling the ladies who threw it that we needed to make it sooner but no one would listen to me! I decided I felt up to going to it, and it ended up being a great time! We had a ton of people there, and I still maintain a big part of it was the chance to actually see and hold my little guy. Everyone seemed surprised to see me up and about, dressed and in makeup no less! I wanted to tell them I had makeup on in the hospital, but I kept that to myself :). It was an amazing show of support and love, not to mention the incredible amount of presents this tiny kid hauled in. When you add on all the stuff that's been delivered to our house in the last 10 days, we got all of the necessities and a lot of the 'fun stuff' on our registry. There are still some things we'll go get ourselves, especially babyproofing items, a few decor pieces, and some breastfeeding accessories. Then there are a lot of 'later' pieces like toys and stuff for solids feeding. We should be getting a coupon for 10% off of everything left on our registry soon, and we've received some gift cards which will help cover a lot of what's left. What a spoiled... er, lucky and incredibly loved little boy!

Brian took this week off, so we had a few days with just the three of us. He is of course fantastic, and we managed just fine. Of course, I'd like my house to be a little cleaner and clearly it's taken until now for me to update my blog, but were all bathed and clothed and fed and emergency free.

On Tuesday we actually took a trip up to Babies R Us, which is a decent drive away. We made a couple of exchanges, picked up some gifts from family that were being held there, and purchased a glider for the nursery. The latter was the purpose of the trip, and we drove Brian's truck so we could get it home. They come with assembly required, but the box is still big and my car is not. Unfortunately they only have a few in stock (information I could have used YESTERDAY when I CALLED and asked a bunch of questions about what vehicle I should bring to pick it up) so we have to wait a few weeks. It's gorgeous though, and worth the wait.

Kian seems to be getting much bigger now, filling out and changing every day. We think his circ is healed pretty well now and are looking forward to 'real' baths and not having to use vaseline every time we change him. His schedule is getting even weirder now, and he's eating more frequently at times and less at others. On the plus side he seems to have 2 stretches of 2-3 hours of sleep and one of 4 at night, which is just FANTASTIC for me. One nap during the day and I'm all set.

It's getting easier all the time but again, going WAY TOO FAST.

No comments: