Sunday, June 24, 2007

Weeks 30-31 June 8-14 and 15-21

Week 31 was extremely busy, which is why I never got around to writing up week 30. So, once again, a quick 2-week post :).

Week 30 was fairly average, without any really major developments. Brian has been working somewhat shortened days which means he has more time at home (at least a little) which is fantastic. As you saw, I got a call that my glucose test came back normally and that was a really big deal. The temperatures continue to soar here, which means that I do less and less and still manage to get hotter and hotter (somehow). The Pea keeps getting bigger all the time, and stronger too. He is definitely capable of causing discomfort if he really pushes in particular places. He doesn't seem to like it very well when I lay on my right side this week, and he kicks the heck right out of me if I do. It's like, "Hey mom, I don't like that! MOVE!" Or more likely, 'hey house-thing I swim around in,' since that's about all I am to him at this point :).

I went to a seminar on base, which was decent. It is designed to be taken at the beginning of the pregnancy, but I forgot all about it, so I was the only really pregnant person there. The nutritionist brightly chirped, "OK ladies, let's all come weigh in!" If looks could kill I think she would at least be injured. I was like, um... no. And of course, she couldn't MAKE me so we just skipped that part. I'm sure the intent is to keep up with the expectant moms and help them make good nutritional choices as they get farther along (and gain a million pounds), but let's face it, I'm sort of past that point. The rest of it was pretty good, including a talk by the family advocacy nurse, who gave us some good freebies. She also does a babycare class which I signed up for, and she's a lactation consultant who makes free house calls. I have no idea how she actually manages to DO that, but it's an Air Force thing. Really I guess there are quite a few things I don't take advantage of. At any rate, good info and her number is on my fridge!

I didn't keep very good track of my weight this week, but as I'll relate in the next paragraph, I went to the doctor and he said I had gained 3 pounds over the last 2 weeks. Whatever that means.

Week 31:
First off, doctor's appointment! It went well as usual. I gained a little more than last time, but it's all good. According to my scale I gained 25 lbs by the end of week 31. I'm basically 'on schedule' but I'll be at the upper end of 'normal' by the time I'm done I'm sure. The Pea's heartrate was going strong at 146 (they usually fluctuate a lot but his has been between 145 and 155 every time he's been checked). I'm at 32cm, so only 1 cm ahead of where I should be this week. Really I think that I'm supposed to be at 31cm at the END of this week so... I dunno. At any rate I'm huge :). I told the doc I didn't have any questions but I was starting to get a little worried about actually getting this kid out of me. He said when he starts doing weekly exams and pelvic checks at 36 weeks we'll re-evaluate and see. If he's super big (or seems that way) we might end up having to induce a little early. I'd rather not be induced, but I'd rather be induced than end up with a C-section or a problem due to a baby too big for me to deliver. All the craziness! Also, he felt around and he thinks the Pea is head down now, which is really great. Especially considering the fact that he's not really changing position anymore. He seems to roll back and forth, kick/punch a little and PUSH a LOT, but it's not the rolly swirly movements he used to do so much. So, all good news there!

Wednesday I did that jewelry party. That meant that I spent Mon-Wed cleaning, buying snack food, calling people to remind them, etc. It was EXHAUSTING. The party itself was sort of fun, but it was totally chaotic. Between the babies that came, my dogs, my birds, and my too-social friends, it was just... well, chaos! Also the advisor got a flat tire on her way here so she was totally frazzled, and a few people had to leave early. All in all, I didn't end up with many orders, but to be totally honest, I'm just glad it's over. Isn't that terrible? No more hosting parties for me!

On the plus side again, I got a free necklace and my house is clean! Whee! Brian was super helpful and did all the outside stuff PLUS the vacuuming and he folded some laundry too. He is the best.

I slept pretty much all day Thursday and nursed really sore feet until Friday. It's nuts how much every little thing takes out of me. My back is persistently painful now, though it's mid-back not lower back pain. Riding in the car is the WORST. Luckily lounging in my bed or on the couch I can usually find a comfy position so it's not too bad. With the temps soaring up to 110 this week I'm starting to have my first signs of swelling, but it's just a little in my hands and feet. As usual, not bad at all and I'm grateful.

I'm starting to get really anxious about silly little things being ready. I guess it's partly that whole nesting thing. Brian's planning on taking some extra time off around July 4th, with the plan to get the nursery painted. Sometime around then we should be getting our nursery furniture (the crib ended up on backorder again, so they're just going to deliver it all at the same time). Hopefully that will help! I'm sure I'm going to keep feeling this way until I finish up my classes (July 18th I think?) and have my baby shower (July 22) and then finish buying at least the basics that we don't receive as gifts. Yikes. Another month of driving Brian crazy I guess! Poor guy.

I am definitely still enjoying the sensations of having my baby inside of me, and I still feel like I will really miss it. At the same time, I'm getting more and more excited about meeting him, seeing him, holding him in my arms. As the physical discomforts increase and the excitement about actually having the baby follow suit, the balance is starting to tip toward me being ready for D-day to get here. Still, we need to aim for at LEAST 4 more weeks so he can be baked all the way, so I'm not jumping the gun too much. To be honest though, more and more people have said that there's no way I'm going to make it to August 17th, and several have commented that they think my due date might be off. Yikes again. I guess we'll see!

No comments: