Thursday, August 16, 2007

Week 3, Part 2: July 31- August 1

July 31st was a big day! It was Brian's last full day at home with us, a bittersweet event. I knew we would miss him like crazy, and I was a little worried about how well I would handle being all alone with my baby. At the same time, a big part of me was looking forward to "just us" time - we hadn't really had any at all since he was born.

Before we got there though, we hit yet another milestone! The evening of the 31st Kian had his first real bath. We had given him lots of sponge baths, but since his circumcision was healed and his umbilical cord was gone, the time had come to use his infant bath and give him a good dunking. There are pictures at kianogrady.shutterfly.com, look for the 'July 31' album. As you can see, he generally did pretty well. There were definitely points where he got grumpy, and I didn't have the routine down at all so he got a little chilled at the end. His favorite part is still getting his hair washed, which I do separately in the sink once he's all wrapped up in his towel. You can probably tell by the pictures that all the fussing stops and he gets very quiet and still. It's one of my favorite times too because of that. Probably the best part is when he's all warm and bundled afterwards though. He's so cute and content and snuggly! I am extremely grateful for the blessing of a cuddly baby. I am a snuggly sort of person and I know that not all babies are cuddlebugs, but mine definitely is!

Wednesday was our first full day alone together. We lived! It actually wasn't terribly different, because I went back to sleep when he did, getting up around 10:30am. Brian came home in the early afternoon because not much was going on at work (and he missed us I think), so all in all we still only had about 5 hours on our own. It was a great way to transition.

So, I'm tired (imagine that), but things are good. I swear he's growing like a weed, and getting more and more alert every day. He's really starting to be a baby and not just a newborn. Imagine, I'm not supposed to be able to meet him for over 2 weeks yet. I'm so glad to have these weeks - it's like bonus time. :)

No comments: